Pages

1/20/15

Sundown Mary

Sundown Mary
Recorded by Billy Walker
Written by Chris Gantry and Larry Baunach


C                   G7      F        C
I first met Sundown Mary  a year ago today
                   G7          F               C
Traveling the same road I was  going the other way
   F                   C                 D7           G7
We talked and then she said you might be nice to have around
F                   C           F        C        G7       C
If you don't mind a laying your head wherever the sun goes down

                   G7          F            C
I've always been a loner never had no one before
                       G7               F                  C
But with every town we passed through I loved her a little more
    F                C            D7                   G7
And one night when I kissed her I thought she felt the same
F                      C      F      C       G7   C
But then the spell was broken by the whistle of a train

                         F       C    F                 C
What have you heard from Sundown Mary what has she done today
       F                        C                D7                G7
Is she eating her food from the silver spoon and off of the golden plate
   F                   C        G7                C
Is she in the chips in Texas or stranded broke in Maine
                            G7             C
Do you know if Sundown Mary ever speaks my name
F              C
Ever speaks my name

                     G7              F                 C
We hopped a train to Baton Rouge the trip took several days
                   G7             F              C
I had no idea that she thought of going separate ways
      F              C           D7              G7
There in the crowded station she softly spoke my name
F                     C         F       C        G7      C
And said it's time to leave you cause I come and go like rain

                         G7              F                 C
There's not much left of what you'd call the man I used to be
                    G7          F             C
For in her place an empty space haunts my memory
F                C        D7           G7
Always broke and lonely I age a year a day
F                 C        F              C        G7      C
And when I get to drinking nights there's just one thing I say

Repeat #3